Follow Me...

       
Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to subscribe!

Friday, April 18, 2014

Mixed Media Masculine Card

 
I've been sharing a lot of pretty cards lately, and today thought it would be fun to share with you a masculine card.  Lately I've abandoned my art journal for pieces of 4.25 x 5.5 inch sheets of mixed media paper.  I try out new mediums, play with techniques, and then recycle these panels into card backgrounds.  I find that mixed media techniques make masculine cards come together much easier!  And you could always keep the card 1 layer and display your art rather than lots of layers.
 
Here are the steps I took to create the background
 
 
  1. Apply modeling paste to your card with stencil of choice (I used Heidi Swapps Honeycomb)
  2. Use A Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft Pitt Pen to apply color around the image. 
  3. Use your finger to smooth out the ink.
  4. Select a texture Stamp (I used Marion Smith Designs' Texture Stamp)  Apply ink to the stamp with a contrasting PITT Pen 
 
  1. Apply archival ink around the image to give a distressed look. NOTE: you can use distress inks, but if you add water, they will react with that water.  Archival ink is permanent when dry.) 
  2. Spray a wet medium onto a pallet.  I used Lindy's Stamp Gang Moon Shadow Mist in Gossamer Gold  
  3. Stamp a round object into the ink and apply it to your card
  4. You will see a water ring just like it were left from coffee or tea. 
To finish off the background I added pieces of tissue tape with matt medium.   I added the panel to a piece of black cardstock and created this card for my nephew's birthday.
 
 
 
He loves photography, so I took advantage of using up some scraps to create this photo layers.   The Camera and Polaroid Frame were a Spellbinder's Die.  I then added the Tim Holtz Film Strip Ribbon, and Marion Smith's Washi Tape from her Romance Novel Prima line.   Happy Birthday stamp was from Studio G.  My nephew was turning 13 so I added a few school aged elements like notebook paper, music tape, geometrical shapes, tag and paper clip.  
 
Don't forget about the Artsy Addicts Sketch Challenge through out the month.  You can get details here!
 
 
Thanks for stopping in today,
 
Tonya Gibbs
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I have never understood the art journal theory - not that I'm knocking it - whatever floats your boat, I say! But your idea of using the sheets as backgrounds just makes my point that bit more valid! I could, and cannot understand the difference of playing around with products in a book or on a sheet of paper! Now you have something that you can use - but if it doesn't turn out - so what? Thank you for sharing Tonya!! Love the card - I know I often have difficulties coming up with male cards, but here you picked out lots of pertinent to your nephew items that made a wonderful card. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the Art Journal was an area to freely experiment with mediums, document my feelings, and just be free. I don't often share my art journals because they are so personal. There are a lot of people who journal as their only creative outlet, it is nice to see a full book, and get a feel for the artist and their emotions. I just had a light bulb moment of experimenting on smaller items and turning them into cards. I felt the same way as you about ATCs "now what do you do with them?" So I starting thinking about the ultimate share - a greeting card. Thanks for your comment and open dialog. I appreciate the feed back. I'm glad I could inspire you!

      Delete

I love seeing things you create using my tutorials or project shares. Please use the following handles/tags in social media to insure that I get to see your creations:

INSTAGRAM: #FollowingTonyaGibbs    |   TWITTER:  @gibbst    #FollowingTonyaGibbs   |      FACEBOOK:Tag  Tonya Gibbs   #FollowingTonyaGibbs

I Design for:

    http://www.yvonneblair.com

Guest Artist: Click icon to see post!

http://www.teresacollinsdesignteam.blogspot.com/2013/10/family-stories-layout-and-video-by.html#comment-form   http://canvascorp.com/2013/03/21/easter-treat-baskets/


Past Teams

http://www.die-namites.com/     marion